What is Pupil Premium?
The pupil premium is a grant allocated to local authorities and schools with pupils on roll that are known to have been eligible for free school meals (FSM) at any time in the last six years. Each of these pupils attract a specific amount of funding each year which must be spent on them to improve their education. Schools will have the freedom to spend the premium in a way they think will best support the raising of attainment for those pupils who are eligible.
Who is eligible?
Do any of the following apply to you?
- You receive Child Tax Credits (but not Working Tax Credit) and your gross annual family income is less than £16,190.
- You receive Income support.
- You receive Income Based Jobseekers Allowance. (Contributions Based Jobseekers allowance is not a qualifying benefit.)
- You receive Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).
- You receive a Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit.
- You are an Asylum Seeker and receive support from the National Asylum Support Service (NASS).
If so, you are eligible to claim Free School Meals and your child will receive the Pupil Premium Funding to help with their individual needs in school.
It is vital for parents to register their child as eligible for FSM so that Phoenix Infant Academy receives their maximum Pupil Premium entitlement.
We are aware that there a number of parents that do not take up the opportunity for their children to receive free school meals. This could be for a number of reasons which may include that their children prefer packed lunch or that they feel their child may somehow be stigmatised by receiving free school meals.
We would firstly like to reassure parents that receiving free school meals is a completely confidential matter and children who receive free school meals receive exactly the same dinner as a child who is not receiving free school meals. Secondly, your child does not have to have the school dinner provided and can carry on with their usual arrangement.
The school and your child benefit hugely in receiving the Pupil Premium funding.
Please enquire at the school office if you need assistance in registering for Free School Meals.